Monday, July 15, 2024

Mt. Baker Highway 2024

 I rode up the Mt. Baker highway again this year, after a couple of years off.  It was a gorgeous day, somewhat on the cool side weather wise, which I really appreciated on the way up.

The lower parts of the climb were quite cloudy, and it was not a certainty that the clouds would clear and render the peaks visible.


The pavement was mercifully dry; however, and I set about climbing while trying to limit myself from going too hard too early.  As I made my way up, some blue patches began appearing in the sky.


The road flattens somewhat at the ski area, and even though it's still around a 3% grade, it almost feels like pedaling downhill given the gradients preceding it.


Once past the ski area, the road switchbacks up through and into the snow.


Which gets thicker to the point that the upper reaches of the climb were cleared by snow plow just a couple of weeks prior to my ascent.